Blood Orange Italian Soda is a refreshing and flavorful non-alcoholic beverage made with blood orange syrup, sparkling water, and ice. It’s easy to make and perfect for serving at parties or enjoying on a warm day. Here’s a recipe for Blood Orange Italian Soda, including a homemade blood orange syrup:
Blood Orange Syrup:
- 1 cup blood orange juice (from about 4-5 blood oranges)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Instructions for Blood Orange Syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine the blood orange juice and granulated sugar.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, reduce the heat to low and simmer the syrup for 10-15 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and allow the syrup to cool. Transfer the cooled syrup to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Blood Orange Italian Soda:
- Crushed ice
- 2-3 tbsp blood orange syrup (or to taste)
- 8 oz sparkling water or club soda
- Optional: a splash of half-and-half or cream
- Optional garnish: blood orange slice and a sprig of fresh mint
Instructions for Blood Orange Italian Soda:
- Fill a tall glass with crushed ice.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of the blood orange syrup over the ice, adjusting the amount based on your desired sweetness.
- Slowly pour the sparkling water or club soda into the glass, allowing it to mix with the blood orange syrup. Stir gently to combine.
- For a creamy variation, add a splash of half-and-half or cream to the glass and stir gently.
- Garnish the Blood Orange Italian Soda with a slice of blood orange and a sprig of fresh mint, if desired.
- Serve immediately with a straw and enjoy your refreshing Blood Orange Italian Soda!
This recipe can be easily adapted to other flavors by substituting the blood orange juice with the juice of your choice to create a variety of delicious Italian sodas.