Chicken Parmesan, also known as Chicken Parmigiana, is a popular Italian-American dish that features breaded chicken cutlets topped with marinara sauce and melted cheese. Here’s a simple recipe to make a delicious Chicken Parmesan:
– 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 large eggs
– 1 cup breadcrumbs (preferably Italian-style)
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon dried basil
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 1 cup marinara sauce
– 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional, for garnish)
– Olive oil, for frying
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Butterfly the chicken breasts by slicing them horizontally through the middle, but not all the way through. Open them up like a book and gently pound them to an even thickness of about 1/2-inch using a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
3. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
4. Set up a breading station with three shallow dishes: one for the flour, one for the beaten eggs, and one for the breadcrumb mixture. In the breadcrumb dish, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
5. Dredge each chicken breast first in the flour, shaking off any excess. Next, dip it into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off. Finally, coat the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly to ensure it adheres well. Set the breaded chicken breasts aside.
6. In a large skillet, heat about 1/4-inch of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, carefully add the breaded chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown and crispy. You may need to work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
7. Transfer the fried chicken breasts to the prepared baking sheet. Spoon about 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over each piece, followed by a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese.
8. Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
9. Remove the chicken from the oven, garnish with chopped fresh basil if desired, and serve immediately with pasta, salad, or your favorite side dish. Enjoy your homemade Chicken Parmesan!