Escalope Milanaise, also known as Wiener Schnitzel, is a classic dish from Milan, Italy, that is made with a breaded and fried veal cutlet. The dish is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and it is usually served with a side of salad or potatoes. The recipe has been passed down for generations and is a staple of Italian cuisine.
– 4 Veal Cutlets
– 2 Eggs, beaten
– 1½ cups bread crumbs
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– Salt and pepper
– Oil, for frying
– Lemon wedges, for serving
1. To start, pound the veal cutlets between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper until they are thin and tender.
2. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place the flour and beaten eggs in separate bowls. In another bowl, mix the bread crumbs with a little bit of salt and pepper.
4. Coat each veal cutlet in flour, shaking off any excess, then dip it in the beaten egg, and finally coat it with the bread crumb mixture, pressing it lightly to ensure the breading sticks to the meat.
5. Heat some oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, fry the cutlets for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the breading is golden brown and crispy.
6. Remove the cutlets from the pan and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
7. Serve the Escalope Milanaise with a side of salad or potatoes, and a sprinkle of fresh lemon juice.
Enjoy your homemade Escalope Milanaise!
Escalope Milanaise is a classic and delicious Italian dish that is easy to prepare and sure to impress your guests. With this recipe, you can enjoy an authentic dish from Milan right in the comfort of your own home. Serve it up with some salad or potatoes, and enjoy the tender and crispy veal cutlet with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. It’s a great dinner idea for family and friends that everyone will love.