- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly mix in the oil until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts, if using.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes have cooled, frost them with Cream Cheese Frosting and serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Use immediately to frost the carrot cake.
Enjoy your delicious homemade carrot cake!