Here are 10 typical American breakfast dishes:
- Pancakes: Fluffy, round cakes made from a batter of flour, milk, eggs, and a leavening agent, often served with maple syrup, butter, and sometimes fruit or whipped cream.
- Waffles: A batter similar to pancakes is poured into a waffle iron, creating a crisp, golden-brown grid-patterned treat. Waffles are typically served with butter, maple syrup, fruit, whipped cream, or even fried chicken in some Southern dishes.
- Bacon and eggs: A classic American breakfast consisting of crispy bacon strips and eggs cooked to preference (fried, scrambled, poached, or boiled). This dish is often served with toast and hash browns or home fries.
- Omelette: Beaten eggs cooked in a thin layer and filled with ingredients such as cheese, ham, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, spinach, or peppers. Omelettes can be folded or rolled, and are often served with toast or a side of potatoes.
- Eggs Benedict: Poached eggs served on top of an English muffin with ham or bacon, and covered in hollandaise sauce. Variations include Eggs Florentine (with spinach) and Eggs Royale (with smoked salmon).
- Breakfast burrito: A large flour tortilla filled with scrambled eggs, cheese, and other ingredients such as bacon, sausage, ham, potatoes, beans, salsa, and avocado. This dish has its roots in the Southwestern United States and Mexican cuisine.
- Bagel with cream cheese and lox: A round, chewy bread roll with a hole in the middle, served with a generous spread of cream cheese and topped with smoked salmon (lox), capers, red onion, and sometimes tomato.
- Biscuits and gravy: A Southern American dish consisting of soft, flaky biscuits smothered in a creamy sausage gravy. This hearty dish is often served with eggs and bacon or sausage on the side.
- Yogurt and granola parfait: Layers of yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit (such as berries, banana, or apple) served in a tall glass or bowl. This dish is a lighter, healthier alternative to more traditional American breakfast fare.
- Breakfast sandwich: A combination of breakfast ingredients like eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, or cheese, served between slices of bread, an English muffin, or a bagel. The sandwich may include other ingredients like avocado, tomato, or various spreads, such as mayonnaise or aioli.
These dishes represent a mix of traditional and modern American breakfast options, and you’ll likely find at least one of these dishes in diners, restaurants, and households across the country.