Creamy Mushroom Pasta is a delicious and comforting dish that combines pasta with a rich, flavorful mushroom sauce. This recipe serves 4 people.
- 12 oz (340g) pasta (such as fettuccine, linguine, or penne)
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil or butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz (450g) mushrooms, sliced (cremini, button, or a mix of your favorite varieties)
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (120ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (50g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: chopped fresh parsley or thyme, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside, reserving about 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat the olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet, and cook until they release their moisture and become tender, about 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Pour the heavy cream and chicken or vegetable broth into the skillet with the mushrooms. Stir to combine, and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a splash of reserved pasta water to thin it out.
- Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss to coat the pasta evenly with the creamy mushroom sauce.
- Serve the Creamy Mushroom Pasta immediately, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or thyme if desired. Enjoy!