For the crepes:
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the cheese filling:
- 1 1/2 cups (340g) ricotta cheese or farmer’s cheese, drained if necessary
- 4 oz (115g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- Begin by making the crepes. In a blender or large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, milk, water, eggs, melted butter, and salt. Blend or whisk until the mixture is smooth and lump-free. Cover and refrigerate the crepe batter for at least 30 minutes, allowing it to rest.
- While the batter rests, prepare the cheese filling. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese (or farmer’s cheese), softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and lemon zest (if using). Mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat. Lightly brush the pan with melted butter. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the edges begin to curl and the crepe’s surface is set. Gently flip the crepe and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer the cooked crepe to a plate and continue making crepes with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the pan as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Assemble the blintzes by placing a spoonful of cheese filling (about 2-3 tablespoons) in the center of each crepe. Fold the bottom edge of the crepe over the filling, then fold in the sides and roll it up, forming a small rectangular parcel. Place the filled blintz, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining crepes and filling.
- Bake the blintzes for 20-25 minutes, or until they are heated through and slightly golden.
- Serve the cheese blintzes warm, topped with fruit preserves, sour cream, or a dusting of powdered sugar, as desired.
This classic cheese blintz recipe offers a delightful combination of tender crepes and luscious cheese filling, perfect for satisfying sweet or savory cravings. Enjoy them as a delicious dessert or a sumptuous brunch treat that will impress family and friends alike.