Flan has a rich history that spans cultures and centuries. Ancient Romans may have been the first to create a custard-like dessert, which they called “flado.” However, it was the Spanish who popularized flan throughout the world. As they colonized the Americas and the Philippines, they brought with them their love for this creamy and versatile dessert.
Today, flan can be found in many countries, including Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina. Each region has its own unique spin on the classic recipe. For example, in Mexico, flan is often flavored with vanilla and topped with caramel sauce. In Brazil, a popular variation is “flan de coco,” which is made with coconut milk.
Luckily, making flan at home is easier than you might think. Here’s a simple recipe that anyone can follow:
– 1 cup of sugar
– 4 large eggs
– 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
– 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– Pinch of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar until it becomes a golden-brown liquid. Pour this caramel into a 9-inch round baking dish and swirl it around to coat the bottom.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt. Pour this mixture over the caramel in the baking dish.
4. Place the baking dish inside a larger baking pan and add hot water to the larger pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the smaller dish.
5. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the flan is set but still jiggly in the center.
6. Remove from the oven and let the flan cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
7. When you’re ready to serve, run a knife around the edges of the dish to loosen the flan. Invert the dish onto a plate so that the caramel sauce is on top.
With its silky texture and rich flavor, flan is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just craving something sweet, this delicious recipe is sure to satisfy. So go ahead and indulge your taste buds with a homemade flan today!