Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice (preferably leftover and chilled)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple, or canned pineapple tidbits (drained)
- 1/2 cup cooked and diced chicken, shrimp, or tofu (optional)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews or peanuts
- Lime wedges, for serving
- If using freshly cooked rice, spread it out on a tray or baking sheet and allow it to cool and dry for at least an hour. Chilled leftover rice works best for this recipe, as it doesn’t clump together and has a better texture when stir-fried.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the lightly beaten eggs and scramble until just cooked. Remove the cooked eggs from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and thawed peas and carrots to the skillet, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the chopped pineapple and cooked, diced protein of your choice (chicken, shrimp, or tofu), if using. Cook for another 2 minutes, until heated through.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet, breaking up any clumps with a spatula. Stir in the soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and fish sauce (if using), making sure everything is well combined and the rice is evenly coated with the sauces.
- Return the cooked scrambled eggs to the skillet and mix them into the fried rice.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, and chopped roasted cashews or peanuts.
- Serve the pineapple fried rice hot, with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the top.
This pineapple fried rice recipe is a delicious and flavorful twist on traditional fried rice, featuring the sweet and tangy taste of pineapple combined with savory soy sauce and a hint of spice from the sweet chili sauce. Enjoy this tropical-inspired dish as a main course or a tasty side to your favorite Asian dishes.