A Flavorful Fusion of Beef, Pork, and Aromatic Spices, Topped with a Crispy Potato Layer.
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef
- 1 lb (450g) ground pork
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (2g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (1g) ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups (480ml) water or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the dish
- 2 tbsp (20g) all-purpose flour
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a 9×13-inch (23×33 cm) baking dish with butter.
- In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and ground pork, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, and cook until browned. Remove the cooked meat from the skillet and set aside, leaving the rendered fat in the pan.
- Add the chopped onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat until softened and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Return the browned meat to the skillet and mix it with the onions and garlic. Stir in the ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Add the water or chicken broth to the skillet and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by about half. Stir in the brown sugar and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in the all-purpose flour to form a roux, and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Gradually whisk in a ladleful of the hot liquid from the meat mixture until smooth, then pour this thickened liquid back into the skillet, stirring to combine.
- Pour the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Layer the thinly sliced potatoes over the meat mixture, slightly overlapping them to create a shingled pattern. Drizzle the potatoes with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and crispy, and the meat mixture is bubbling.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy this sweet and savory spiced meat and potato casserole as a comforting main course, paired with a simple green salad or steamed vegetables on the side.